A Stick Figure In Perspective: Week Four & Five

(click on the pictures, and they get bigger)

 

I've spent a lot of time arguing that art isn't a god given  talent, and the past few weeks have done nothing but prove that to me further. What we perceive as a natural style is nothing but a series of decisions  (even If that decision is to slack off, or not draw at all) .

 
Ive compared this experience to boot camp since I was being shipped away from my buddies, and it's even more apt as I learn to slow down and do things right. Learning to measure twice and draw once.
As you can imagine this makes it a lot less fun. I've had my share of warnings of structure killing the passion from art school casualties.  While I understand that now more than ever, I think it's nothing but another decision. What doesn't become less romantic with further study? Deciding to stop is falling in love with the praise and not the process.



Because there is no end, there is no good enough, there's only struggle. Whether it's art or anything else.

1 comment:

  1. monica3/23/2010

    agreed, success is so fleeting, but loving the actual process to getting there, wherever there is, makes life and your work more interesting.

    ReplyDelete